West Linton, the northern most town in the Tweed Valley, is only 17 miles from Edinburgh and an excellent introduction and welcome to all that we have in the Tweed Valley.
Settlements in the area date back to the Iron Age. Bronze Age cists were excavated at West Water Reservoir in 1991 during a drought - an information board gives details of the excavation to visitors.
The town has been host to a variety of visitors over the last millennia from Edward I of England - on his way to Ayr - to Robert Burns. Burns on finding the proprietor of the Brig House Inn away from home on two occasions inscribed on a window 'Honest Graeme, aye the same, never to be found at hame!'
Linton was raised to a Burgh of Regality in 1631, empowering it to hold markets and fairs. Large markets were held initially on the site of the Lower Green and later, as they increased in size, in the area of the Brig House Inn. Weaving was very important in the nineteenth century with upwards of fifty weavers working in their cottages in Linton. Linton boots and shoes were also well thought of, with several boot makers in the village.
In the nineteenth and early twentieth century many changes took place and with the introduction of postal services, the prefix West was used to differentiate the village from the Linton in East Lothian, now East Linton.
For details of hotels, B & Bs and self-catering cottages in the Tweed Valley take a look at our accommodation page. If you're coming to the area specifically for mountain biking and are looking for mountain bike friendly establishments then take a look at our Mountain Bike Hospitality Scheme.
The Whipman is an annual summer festival held in the village, and is one of the Borders' oldest festivals. The festival commences on the Friday before the first Saturday in June, and runs until the following Saturday. The Whipman Play Society was formed in 1803 by local young men to alleviate hardship and illness for its members and in the community at large.
The village has a bank with an ATM, post office, chemist as well as a range of specialist shops including a bookshop, wood burning stove store, and gift shops. There is also a cafe, a delicatessen, a restaurant and hotel.