- What to do
- Where to stay
- Food and Drink
- Special Offers
- Visitor Information
- About Us
Founded in 1854 around the mill and originally called Caberston, Walkerburn mainly housed agricultural workers. The earliest recorded dwelling was located on the present site of Caberston Farm, whereas both Purvis Hill and Plora Hill still have remains of ancient terraces which are still of unknown origin today. However it is believed that the terraces on Purvis Hill belong to the Pictish period. (600-700 AD)
It is believed that on the south side of the river there was a small hamlet called Linkumdoddie. This hamlet was immortalised in the famous song by Robert Burns during his travels in the Borders.
Not far from Walkerburn is the ruin of the 16th Century Fortified Manor, Elibank Castle. Elibank was the home of the legendary Muckle Mou'ed Meg. It is believed that James Hogg may have adapted an earlier legend when he wrote the Murray-Scott wedding document for Willie and Meg's wedding.
For details of hotels, B & Bs and self-catering cottages in the Tweed Valley take a look at our accommodation page. If you're coming to the area specifically for mountain biking and are looking for mountain bike friendly establishments then take a look at our Mountain Bike Hospitality Scheme.